If you have lost one or more teeth and feel uncomfortable using dentures or bridges then maybe dental implants are the right option for you. Implants act as a replacement for tooth roots that are paced into the jaw bone and hold a replacement tooth or bridge. They are surgically inserted into the jaw bone and over time fuse with the bone thus providing a strong foundation on which the replacement tooth is placed.
Advantages of dental implant
Dental implants are an advanced method of replacing missing tooth and has the following advantages
- Improved appearance: Implants look and feel like natural teeth and are permanent
- Improved speech: Poor fitting dentures might become loose and slip making your words to slur whereas implants are fixed into the bone and do not move thus improving speech.
- Improved comfort: Unlike dentures they are permanently fixed and provide greater comfort as they feel like natural teeth
Easier eating: Implants provide better chewing ability
- Improves self esteem
- Improved oral health: Implants do not require adjacent tooth to be filed to accommodate the bridge or crown and as such more natural teeth are left intact thus improving overall oral health
- Durable: With proper care lasts a lifetime
- Convenient: Unlike dentures that need to be removed, implants eliminate the need use of messy adhesives and the need to remove them.
Ideal Candidate for Implants
Dental Implants are suitable for anyone who has healthy gums and enough bone in your jaw to place the implant. They should also be in good oral health. People with diabetes, heart disease or smokers or patients who have undergone radiation in the head and neck region should talk to the dentist to know the options.
How dental implant procedure get done ?
Based on individual needs our dentist provides a treatment plan specifically for you. Dental implants are generally made of titanium material screw and a crown that are compatible with human body.
- The first step involves placement of the implant surgically into the jaw bone where the tooth is missing. This requires extreme skill and expertise to avoid damaging vital jaw and face structures.
- Once the implant is placed, surrounding gum tissue is secured over the implant and covered with a protective screw to allow the site to heal and for osseo-integration to take place. Osseo-integration means ‘combining with the bone’ and may take upto several months. You would notice that the bone actually grows around the implant and holds it in place thus making the implant very strong.
- After several weeks or months of healing, your dentist would place an abutment on which the replacement tooth or crown is placed. Impressions are taken of your teeth and bite and new teeth is created based on this model. The replacement tooth or crown is then added to the abutment. The replacement tooth may take time to be made in which case your dentist may provide you with temporary crown or replacement tooth. In case of several missing teeth custom made dentures or bridges are used to fit over implants. The colour of the new tooth is made to match that of your natural teeth.
- Minimal discomfort is experienced while placing implants since the procedure is performed under the effect of local anesthesia. Mild soreness or pain after the procedure can be treated with over the counter pain medications.
Dental Implant Aftercare
You would be put on a diet comprising of soft foods for five to seven days after the surgery. In case restorations have been placed then it requires proper cleaning to ensure that the implant fuse with the bone. Implant failure and infection can occur if you fail to brush and floss properly. Smoking also contributes to implant failures.
Success rates vary from individual to individual and also depend on where the implant is placed. But, in general implants have a success rate of 98%. In case you plan to go for implants it would be a good idea to talk to a dentist who can evaluate your condition before the surgery. At Dr. Mukul Dabholkar’s Dental Clinic our team of dentists is always ready to help you and clear all your doubts and our clinic provides the best Dental Implants in Mumbai.
Immediate loading dental implants or Teeth in an hour is an another type of dental implants
If you have any queries left don’t forget to ask to doctor or make an appointment with him.